Recently updated the RAM of an Apple MacPro G5 (Late 2005), Quad Core 2,5 2.5 Gb to 16Gb with the aim of extending a little more “life” of computer, as, one of the main objectives was to increase the overall performance of the machine, for applications such as Final Cut Pro 6, Photoshop CS3, inter.
The great advantage was instantly got to work with several applications cited in full swing and when exporting a video with Final Cut, could work with a large image in Photoshop, etc..
A few months ago we wanted to update the version of Final Cut Pro Studio 6 currently installed on this machine with the new version 7, but to our disappointment, one of the prerequisites was that our machine was based on Intel and IBM G5, Go!, Why not read this before buying the upgrade?, but last week I found the following comment in a forum Macrumors.com , where the user “rnitch” easy steps to install the 7 FCP on a G5 machine, Is it possible?, that we would be a great advantage over our “old” G5, can work with multiple video projects while saving many hours =.
We got down to work and to do follow his instructions with some modifications:
- Copy images of the installation disks Final Cut Pro 7 on the desktop of your machine.
- Change file permissions to the installation image of Final Cut Pro 7 from the terminal in OS X (also be done as indicated rnitch with “Disk utility” of operating system utilities folder):
- Open a Terminal window.
- Access the folder “desktop” our user.
- With the command “hdiutil“, execute the following sequence (without quotes): “hdiutil convert Final_Cut_7.dmg -format UDRW -o Final_Cut_7_G5“, thus change the current permissions get read-only file “Final_Cut_7.dmg” (installation image), to read and write a new file called “Final_Cut_7_G5.dmg”.
- Double click on the new generated file “Final_Cut_7_G5.dmg” and once you open the image file, press the right mouse button on the installation file, selecting “show original”.
- Again right-click select the option “Show Package Contents” File:FinalCutStudio.mpk
- Open the folder “contents” Right and select the option “Open > TextEdit”
- After opening the file with your text editor looking for the first sentence “<installation ……” and completely remove this line. Performing this operation we prevent the system's installation program checks the machine type (Ó Intel G5) we have.
- Save the file and exit.
- We return to the original installation folder and open the installation file Final Cut Pro 7, follow the traditional procedure of installation of Final Cut Pro and ready!, already have installed the version 7 in our MacPro G5.
After starting our original version of Final Cut Pro 7 in our MacPro G5, note that the overall performance is superior, although we find a mistake: asks us to render to every project old and new (Red Horizontal Bars), What happens?!, after searching on forums and review the application settings are temporary solution to the problem by Raguel (fellow worker, friend and fellow author of this blog) adjusting the following settings:
Well finally we can work to 98% performance of the new version of the application. We are still investigating and finding out the graphics card to replace the machine for other than 512Mb to work in HD.
Note: use this tutorial at your own risk, we are not responsible for any damage and / or modification caused to your computer, application, etc..